Website hosting business doesn't require any infrastructural investment, and if you decide to take a reseller hosting package or VPS, you won't even have to put in a lot of initial investment either. Here are some basic tips to start a website hosting business.
- Buying a Reseller/VPS/Dedicated Hosting Package: You can take cheap reseller hosting packages to start off, but I'd advise you to take a decent package so that you don't need to monitor the disk space usage, and bandwidth for few months.
When your business needs grow bigger, you can think of buying a VPS, or opt for dedicated hosting, or even setting up your own infrastructure.
- Branding and Advertising to Attract Global Customers: The beauty of a web site hosting business is that your business is not limited to geographical bounds, and you can attract customers from different parts of the world. All that you need to do is to create a good rapport in the market, get some positive feedback from existing customers in form of testimonials.
Using the power of search engine optimization, or advertising programs like Google AdWords, you can easily rank well in search engines for keyword phrases related to your niche such as "web site hosting", "small business web hosting", "best web hosting provider", and get lot of customers.
Remember, you must create a professional-looking website to vow the customers, if you really want to become a successful web hosting provider.
- Billing Software, Payment Gateway & Support System: To manage your customer-base, a good billing software is a must-have, and you can easily integrate online payment gateways seamlessly to be able to accept various form of payments such as PayPal, Credit/Debit Card payment, bank-wire transfer.
The popular billing software include Whmautopilot, Clientexec, Accounts lab pro, Modernbill, and the likes of them.
It's noteworthy that most of the reseller web hosting providers offer free automated billing software as a part of their services.
Support Software: Apart from automated billing software, you'd also require a software system such as Perldesk, Cereberus, Deskpro, or Kayako Esupport to facilitate a 24x7 support ticket system for your customers.
- One of the important things to remember is that a web site hosting business isn't a part time affair, and it requires full time attention, as well as lot of patience.
- You must always ensure that you don't lose your rapport in the market by giving poor customer service, or disappointing your customers in terms of hosting services. Far worse, you must never run out of disk space or bandwidth with a cheap reseller account, as it'd definitely hamper your rapport very badly.
What You Need
- Reseller/VPS/Dedicated Hosting
- A Good Website
- Automated Billing Software
- Automated Support Software
- Payment Gateway & Integration